Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Poland- May 29th

While we are here I have wanted to try and see as much as we can while we have free travel. So Chris asked what I wanted to do for the weekend and I told him I wanted to go to Poland. and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "Why?" I wanted some hand made pollish pottery and to be able to experience I place that once went through communisim. Chris was hesitant but agreed. We woke up really early got ready and left for Poland at 6:30 in the morning. Poland is a little over five hours for where we lived so we stocked up on treats and were headed. And I'll admit I had no idea what to expect and this trip will probably made me realize how lucky I am to live in a place of dreams and freedoms. We hit the German/Poland border and it was night and day difference the roads were not maintained and there was nothing to be seen for miles. I had no idea what to think because for a good half hour there was nothing but thick forest until all of a sudden I spotted this......

This is a Soviet Union watch tower, and I cant even imagine what all took place here in this spot. What was seen who was betrayed and who was lucky enough to sneak through. Now its in the backyard of an elderly mans home,and if I could only speak his language, I bet he has some amazing stories. To Thinks of a place and a time that was so cold and as we kept driving the feeling didnt really change. We got to Bolsaweic where we were going to get the pottery, and I understand why Chris asked me why I wanted to go there. I have never been to a place that had so little hope, the people even the buildings. Everything was old grey stone and cold. It seemed like a dream was never possible for any of the people there, until we say this.....

The one sign of hope and a dream of starting new. Chris and I went and looked at the pottery and I came home with a haul. I got eight plates, a fruit bowl and a teapot. and while we were in the shops we came out and three boys, I would say around 16/17 years old were around are car and the wiper blades were up. It scared me so I just stood still but Chris on the other hand started talking in very forcefull Russian. I wish I could of gotten a picture of their faces, cause I know they were not expecting that. They started rambling stuttering in Pollish and kept pointing to the car. and I guess what they do there is they wash your car and windsheild and then wait for you to pay them. The sad thing is, is that Ive worked in to many peoples mouths that I know how to spot meth mouth and I couldnt contribute to that habbit. They left and we headed back home. and as we left I looked around and through all the gray you could see where the people were breaking boundries. The apartment building were all gray but the balconies would be painted and not just with any colors but the brightest colors they could find. It made me smile I hope they keep breaking out and reaching for there dreams. I am so proud to be an American and know that any dream of mine is possible I hope one day the people of Poland can one day feel that too. Until next time......

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's pretty crazy stuff...You are getting to experience so much over there, I'm jealous! :) Keep exploring cuz soon we'll be partying in the USA and its kinda boring compared to over there haha. Love and miss you both!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm also glad you had a good birthday. Your presents are beautiful! I especially loved the nesting dolls. You are not going to be able to fit all of your fun souvenirs in your suitcase to come home. I guess you could just leave your clothes. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ky that really makes me stop and think. we are so lucky! thank you for sharing such a neat experience. My parents were lucky enough to spend a summer, a few years back in Germany and all the surrounding areas, so neat! I even took German in high school :D I am so glad that you and chris get to experience all of this amazingness together! keep up all the fun posts! and happy birthday :D

    ReplyDelete